What makes a good blog post title depends on who you are blogging for, if you want placement in the index for the topic you are blogging about and if you want people to read past your post title.
Catchy Post Titles Void of SEO are Useless
Using a “catchy blog post title” to grab the attention of readers is good for community type posts like AR, but does very little for topic, search engine placement in the index. Why? – Because keyword/search term vacant titles fail to let Google know what your post is actually about. Without adding a relevant search term in your title, you are literally paddling upstream.
First of all, Google only shows the first 60 – 70 characters of your title in the search results. Therefore, you want to make sure that you have a keyword/search term in the beginning of your title rather than at the end as Google may cut off a portion of your title if it’s a long one. And if you have nothing in your post title that indicates what your post is about, forget about being found in the index.
Post Titles need to be SEO and People Friendly
Personally, I like thought provoking titles that ask a question or gets readers curious enough to read the juicy stuff that follows. I also like a title that lets Google know exactly what I am blogging about.
That being said, a generic, keyword stuffed title without sufficient pizazz is blah! It may get the attention of Google, but it probably won’t entice readers to venture past the title, so, what have you gained?
Typically, when a user is searching the Internet for a specific topic, they will first look at the first 3 maybe 4 listings in the index. Sorry folks, that is the REAL TRUTH and the ONLY way to get users to look further down the page or pages is with an interesting post title and an eye catching SERP description (excerpt of your post that people see in the index).
Blow Fish Blog Post Titles are a Turnoff
A big mistake that many competitive bloggers make is to create pompous, arrogant titles or titles that put others competitors down. Inflated, blow fish blog post titles that flaunt “super badassness” or why their products or services are better than everything else on the planet is a turnoff and reeks of amateur status. Blow fish titles offer nothing for search engines nor do they get people to click on your post and read it.
The only way to succeed on the Internet and rise above your competitors is to maintain a “deaf ear” no matter how awful or personal others get. NEVER comment, refer to or post about them. Instead, blog about your own expertise, throw some SEO in there for good measure and create effective blog post titles that help people and search engines find the “topic” you are blogging about.
WordPress SEO Blog Design and Quality Content
On our website, we give away a ton of free, up-to-date information about WordPress and SEO business blogging. Learn more about why people-focused, optimized content on WordPress is the answer for top, organic search engine placement – SEO WordPress success – the Diva and Cowboy Way!
Related Articles about SEO Blogging:
- Are you SEO business blogging or just blogging?
- Does your WordPress site need a tune-up?
- WordPress magic happens when YOU work It!
- Effective blogging for your target market
- SEO Blogging – You are either on the bus or off the bus
- Never Consider Your WordPress Site as “Finished”
- Quality SEO content vs quantity rules when it comes to traffic conversion
- Why users are taking the Internet away From the marketers
- Get found online with content focused SEO blogging
- SEO deep link navigation – Weaving posts between pages equals SEO success!
- The importance of quality vs quantity content
- WordPress SEO Blog Design – What makes Get Found Now different!
- SEO blogging coaching – Get Found Now!
- SEO blogging – Google 3.0 update – keep it local
- Not all real estate blogging is created equal
- WordPress SEO blog design, usability and lead generation
- The Sacred blogging zone
- Content is King!
- Real estate blogging tip – Start with a smart content plan
- SEO business blogging – A Societal trend that’s here to stay
- Five SEO myths debunked
- Website curb Appeal is paramount to your online success
- WordPresstraining, business blog coaching and SEO
- The best hosting for WordPress – understand your options
- Website geo-targeting for area authority using embedded Google maps
- Blogging is here to stay and the best way to promote your business online
- Write a new blog post or give an earlier post a face lift?
- Too many cooks in the WordPress kitchen – Recipe for disaster!
- WordPress trackbacks and pingbacks – Communication links between blogs
- WordPress SEO company recipe for success!
- Blog authority starts with quality content
- The lowdown on adding images to SEO blog posts
- SEO Blogging – How Google spiders your site!
- How to use tags for WordPress blog SEO
We have years of experience installing, configuring and optimizing WordPress, and training people how to SEO blog effectively on it. Get Found Now is a WordPress site with a 99/100 overall Moz website score. This is what we bring to the table and can help you attain for your own WordPress blog! Check out what our valued clients have to say about us on our testimonials page.
If you would like us to design you a brand new WordPress blogging platform (Portfolio), would like a WordPress back-end tune-up on your existing self-hosted WordPress site (only $99), or need some SEO blog coaching, please give us a call at 813.782.1619.
Get Found Now! WordPress Studio Press-Genesis and SEO Experts